zondag 14 maart 2010

Controlling the light

Rene's Triumph now is featured in 100% Biker magazine. Well, this might be a good opportunity to explain why I sometimes use all those big lights and heavy-weight batteries and tripod-stands on location!

The picture on top is the standard photo, without use of any light. Oops! As you see, there's too much dynamic range! The lights in the windows are blowing out out and the bike is covered in shade. It's crap, can't use this for a bike feature...














This looks like a problem, isn't it? Okay, I didn't move the bike or the camera, which was put on a tripod. Rene wasn't in a hurry and coincidently I stuffed my car full of gear. I had to under-expose the windows to get the nice atmospheric colours back. But this way, the bike would be totally black! So, I pointed two 750 watt studiolights (with softbox & umbrella's), ran on 220 v batteries, on each side of the bike. The bike has nice shades and highlights now. So, this way I have total control about the subject (the bike) and the background (the windows). Y'see, it takes some time (and some muscle-power to carry all the gear too) but the photo looks exactly the way I want it!














Nice, isn't it? By the way, Rene modified the bike. Shot this photo at the Bigtwin Bikeshow 2009.

1 opmerking:

  1. Yes master of the heavy flashlights. very convincing lesson this way.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen

Opmerking: Alleen leden van deze blog kunnen een reactie posten.